|Nama lengkap||Paul Charles Morphy|
|Asal negara||Amerika Serikat|
|Lahir||22 Juni 1837|
New Orleans, Louisiana, Amerika Serikat.
|Meninggal||10 Juli 1884 (umur 47)|
New Orleans, Louisiana, Amerika Serikat.
Paul Charles Morphy (22 Juli 1837 – 10 Juli 1884) adalah seorang pemain catur asal Amerika Serikat. Dia hidup sebelum Kejuaraan Catur Dunia formal diadakan, dia dikenal luas sebagai salah satu Grandmaster catur terhebat dimasanya. Dia memenangkan Turnamen Catur Amerika Pertama pada 1857.
Referensi[sunting | sunting sumber]
- Paul Morphy, The Pride and Sorrow of Chess by David Lawson, 424 pages; McKay, 1976. ISBN 978-0-679-13044-4. – The only book-length biography of Paul Morphy in English, it corrects numerous historical errors that have cropped up, including Morphy's score as a child versus Löwenthal.
- Paul Morphy, The Pride and Sorrow of Chess by David Lawson, 426 pages; University of Louisiana at Lafayette Press, 2010. ISBN 978-1-887366-97-7. - Edited by Thomas Aiello. Includes annotated bibliography of books and articles published since Lawson's original edition. Omits the sixty game scores in Part II of Lawson's original edition.
- Frederick Milne Edge, Paul Morphy, the Chess Champion. An Account of His Career in America and Europe, D. Appleton and Company, New York 1859. Edge was a newspaperman who attached himself to Morphy during his stay in England and France, accompanying Morphy everywhere, and even acting at times as his unofficial butler and servant. Thanks to Edge, much is known about Morphy that would be unknown otherwise, and many games Morphy played were recorded only thanks to Edge. Contains information about the First American Chess Congress, and the history of English chess clubs in and before Morphy's time.
- Morphy's Games of Chess by Philip W. Sergeant, London, G. Bell & Sons, 1916. Features annotations collected from previous commentators, as well as additions by Sergeant. Has all of Morphy's match, tournament, and exhibition games, and most of his casual and odds games. Short biography included.
- Morphy's Games of Chess by Philip W. Sergeant & Fred Reinfeld, Dover, 1957. ISBN 0-486-20386-7. Paperback reprint of Sergeant's original book, with an introduction by Reinfeld.
Bacaan tambahan[sunting | sunting sumber]
- Paul Morphy and the Evolution of Chess Theory by Macon Shibut, Caissa Editions 1993 ISBN 0-939433-16-8. Over 415 games comprising almost all known Morphy games. Chapters on Morphy's place in the development of chess theory, and reprinted articles about Morphy by Steinitz, Alekhine, and others.
- The Chess Genius of Paul Morphy by Max Lange (translated from the original German into English by Ernst Falkbeer), 1860. Reprinted by Moravian Chess under the title, "Paul Morphy, a Sketch from the Chess World". An excellent resource for the European view of Morphy as well as for its biographical information. The English edition was reviewed in Chess Player's Chronicle, 1859.
- Paul Morphy. Sammlung der von ihm gespielten Partien mit ausführlichen Erläuterungen by Géza Maróczy, Veit und Comp., Leipzig 1909. Reprinted by Olms-Verlag, Zürich 1979.
- Grandmasters of Chess by Harold Schonberg, Lippincott, 1973. ISBN 0-397-01004-4.
- World Chess Champions by Edward Winter, editor, 1981. ISBN 0-08-024094-1. Leading chess historians include Morphy as a de facto world champion, although he never claimed the title.
- Morphy's Games of Chess by J Lowenthal, LONDON, 1893, George Bell & Sons. Probably reprint from c1860, features a short memoir, 1 page intro from Morphy with analytical notes from Löwenthal, including blindfold and handicap games.
- Morphy Gleanings by Philip W. Sergeant, David McKay, 1932. Contributes games not found in Sergeant's earlier work, "Morphy's Games of Chess" and features greater biographical information as well as documentation into the Morphy–Paulsen and the Morphy–Kolisch affairs. Later reprinted as "The Unknown Morphy", Dover, 1973. ISBN 0-486-22952-1.
- The World's Great Chess Games by Reuben Fine, Dover, 1983. ISBN 0-486-24512-8.
- A First Book of Morphy by Frisco Del Rosario, Trafford, 2004. ISBN 1-4120-3906-1. Illustrates the teachings of Cecil Purdy and Reuben Fine with 65 annotated games played by the American champion. Algebraic notation.
- Paul Morphy: A Modern Perspective by Valeri Beim, Russell Enterprises, Inc., 2005. ISBN 1-888690-26-7. Algebraic notation.
- Life of Paul Morphy in the Vieux Carré of New-Orleans and Abroad by Regina Morphy-Voitier, 1926. Regina Morphy-Voitier, the niece of Paul Morphy, self-published this pamphlet in New York.
- The Chess Players by Frances Parkinson Keyes, Farrar, Straus and Cudahy; 1960. A work of historical fiction in which Morphy is the central character.
- Paul Morphy: Confederate Spy, by Stan Vaughan, Three Towers Press, 2010. A work of historical fiction in which Morphy is the central character.
- "Paul Morphy A Historical Character". Chess Player's Chronicle. Third Series: 40. 1860.
- The Genius of Paul Morphy by Chris Ward, Cadogan Books, 1997. ISBN 978-1-85744-137-6. Biographical novelization of Morphy's life.
- La odisea de Pablo Morphy en la Habana, 1862–1864 by Andrés Clemente Vázquez, Propaganda Literaria, Havana 1893.
- Paul Morphy. Partidas completas by Rogelio Caparrós, Ediciones Eseuve, Madrid 1993. ISBN 84-87301-88-6.
Pranala luar[sunting | sunting sumber]
- (Inggris) Paul Morphy pada situs ChessGames.com.
- Edward Winter, Edge, Morphy and Staunton
- Morphy's column for the New York Ledger in 1859
- US Chess Hall Of Fame – Paul Morphy
- THE LIFE AND CHESS OF PAUL MORPHY, edochess
- Krabbé, Tim. "The full Morphy". www.xs4all.nl. Complete collection of surviving game scores.